To engage high school students to identify either an abandoned or reclaimed mine site, then through investigation and research, propose a new use and business model for the development of such use of the site, that would provide employment opportunities through a business enterprise, as well as adding value to the quality of life for the residents of the area.
+ The following (4) KCTCS colleges will be invited to select, for participation in the ECLRP Program, (1) High School in each of the following counties located within their respective market area.
Ashland Community & Technical College
Big Sandy Community & Technical College
Hazard Community & Technical College
Southeast Community & Technical College 1.Bell
Alice Lloyd College Invited to choose up to (4) high schools from within the above (21) county area.
University of Pikeville Invited to choose up to (4) high schools from within the above (21) county area.
At-Large Teams This would include any high school wishing to apply for participation that is not located in any of the proposed (21) counties, as listed above.
DUE TO THE PROGRAM AREA SIZE THERE WILL BE A SERIES OF (4) TOPIC SPECIFIC WORKSHOPS WITH EACH BEING HELD ON (2) DIFFERENT DATES AND LOCATIONS FOR A TOTAL OF (8);
+ PHASE 1
- SEPTEMBER 4TH & 6TH – INTRODUCTORY WORKSHOP TO PRESENT OVERVIEW OF PROGRAM, WITH A FOCUS ON THE FOLLOWING SHORT-TERM ACTION ITEMS:
- COACHES TO RECRUIT TEAM WITH MINIMUM OF (2) AND MAXIMUM OF (5) MEMBERS;
- TEAMS TO DETERMINE BUSINESS IDEA FOR PROJECT;
- TEAMS TO SELECT A PREVIOUSLY MINED SITE FOR LOCATING THEIR PROPOSED BUSINESS. 4 WEEKS
- OCTOBER 2ND & 4TH WORKSHOP FOCUSING ON SITE PROFILE DEVELOPMENT AND PREVIEW OF PHYSICAL MODEL CREATION; 4 WEEKS
- OCTOBER 31ST – SITE PROFILE REPORT DUE; 2 WEEKS
- NOVEMBER 14TH – QUALIFYING NOTIFICATION TO COACHES RELATIVE TO CONTINUED PROGRAM PARTICIPATION FOR ALL TEAMS ATTAINING THE MINIMUM THESHOLD OF 75% SCORE OF POINTS POSSIBLE ON SITE PROFILE REPORT. TEAMS SCORING LESS THAN 75% WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER PARTICIPATION; 2 WEEKS
+ PHASE 2
NOVEMBER 27TH & 29TH WORKSHOP FOCUSING ON BUSINESS PLAN/MODEL DEVELOPMENT; 8 WEEKS
JANUARY 24TH – BUSINESS PLAN/MODEL REPORT DUE; 2 WEEKS
FEBRUARY 7TH – REGIONAL QUALIFYING NOTIFICATION TO COACHES RELATIVE TO CONTINUED PROGRAM PARTICIPATION FOR TOP 12 TEAMS (REGARDLESS OF LOCATION), ATTAINING THE MINIMUM THESHOLD OF 75% SCORE OF POINTS POSSIBLE ON THE BUSINESS PLAN/MODEL REPORT; (1 WEEK TO PHYSICAL MODEL WORKSHOP) (6 WEEKS TO CHALLENGE)
+ PHASE 3
- FEBRUARY 8TH – POSTING OF ON-LINE TUTORIAL VIDEO DEMONSTRATING PROPER PRESENTATION OF TEAM’S SITE PROFILE AND BUSINESS PLAN/MODEL AT REGIONAL CHALLENGE; (1 WEEK TO MODEL WORKSHOP) (6 WEEKS TO CHALLENGE)
- FEBRUARY 14TH & 19TH – WORKSHOP ON CONSTRUCTION OF PHYSICAL MODELS / PROTOTYPES; 4 ½ WEEKS TO CHALLENGE
- MARCH 21ST - REGIONAL CHALLENGE - TEAM PRESENTATIONS WILL BE DIVIDED INTO THE FOLLOWING TWO SECTIONS:
SITE PROFILE – WILL INCLUDE IMPORTANT AND INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THEIR SITE, RELATIVE TO ITS IMPORTANCE TO THE COMMUNITY/REGION DURING THE YEARS OF ITS MINING ACTUIVITY. THIS SECTION WILL INCLUDE PRESENTATION OF THE PHYSICAL MODEL RELATIVE TO THE SITE AND PHYSICAL PLANT PART OF THEIR PROPOSED BUSINESS;
BUSINESS PLAN/MODEL – WILL INCLUDE DESCRIPTION OF BUSINESS PLAN FROM CONCEPTION OF IDEA THROUGH TO OPENING DAY OF BUSINESS. THIS WILL ALSO INCLUDE PRESENTATION OF ANY PRODUCT PROTOTYPE.
BOTH OF THE ABOVE SECTIONS WILL BE ALLOTTED AS OF YET TBD AMOUNT OF PRESENTATION AND JUDGES’ Q&A TIME. NO UNUSED TIME IN THE SITE PROFILE PART WILL BE TRANSFERRABLE TO THE BUSINESS PLAN PART. SINCE THE JUDGES WILL HAVE ALREADY SCORED THE WRITTEN SUBMISSIONS PART OF THE SITE PROFILE AND BUSINESS PLAN REPORTS,THE ONLY SCORING AT THE CHALLENGE WILL BE THE TEAM PRESENTATIONS, WHICH WILL BE COMBINED WITH THEIR PREVIOUSLY SUBMITTED WRITTEN REPORT SCORES IN ORDER TO DETERMINE THE FIRST, SECOND, AND THIRD PLACE REGIONAL WINNERS.